Showing posts from June, 2019

Building a better picnic table

There are a few things you want to keep in mind when building picnic tables. Like who's going to sit at the table, and do they have health issues that could make it hard to get on and off the bench.

Where is the table going to be located? Is it going to see a lot of rain? Is it in direct sunlight? Is it on your lawn? Is someone going to have to move this table every week to cut the grass?

One big problem with picnic tables, is they are heavy. If someone has to move it every week, and they do not do it properly, they could destroy your table. It's like taking a pry bar to a crate to open it.

It doesn't take much to destroy a table when you have leverage. Grabbing that table from the wrong side and heaving it back and forth to move it around by yourself is like taking a pry bar to a crate. In time, it's going to come apart. Maybe not right now, it'll take a few tries, but things are going to get looser and looser and looser every time you start manhandling that table…

Talking poop again

I just had the full top of the tank replaced on my almost 40 year old septic tank.

Here are the before and after shots. When I bought the house over 10 years ago, the prior owner had died so no one knew just where the tank was. And you know what they say, if it aint broke dont fix it.

When they opened the tank to pump it for me. The 40 year old cement cover crumbled a bit. I could have just covered it with dirt, but in 5 to 10 years when I need to do it again I would like it to be easier.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to remove the old lid. I may have just been lucky. They put a heavy pry bar inside the access hole and hooked a chain to it, and then just slid the lid off.

I built this wooden thing a few years back to mark the spot Click here to see more poop

How about a mask

Sometimes things just don't work out.  This was supposed to be part of a rifle case. Now it's a mask. The real goal in this Mask project was to not waste the leather.
Click here for all the photos in this project

Was the case a poor plan or poor idea? Who knows. I was not happy with it and with every cut things got worse, and worse, and worse. So I accepted the failure and moved on. I was able to use most of the leather you see in the image below on the left for other project. It was just the section on the right that went wrong.

Looking at the failed piece I saw a mask with a single eye. So I added a second eye and other facial features. With the failed project it was the first time I tried doing the two needle double thread stitch, a stitch used to sew baseballs. I want to remember what I learned here and salvage the leather.

On the left side the stitches are a bit farther apart. For a hollow project this made it harder to keep the leather lined up edge to edge. I also start…